Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Going Greenish

No, we don't have a hybrid. No, we don't always recycle everything we should. I am making the switch to all natural cleaners! We have been using vinegar to clean things for a while, but I have decided to take the plunge and get rid of a lot of my store bought stuff in favor of making my own. With little boys who like to eat off the floor, crawl around and the like, I figure it is much better for them (and us). A couple of weeks ago our cleaning lady came. When she left I had to open up all the windows and we actually left for a little so that the aroma of cleaning products could actually diminish. I don't know if she mixed things that didn't need to be mixed or if the cleaners were just overly potent that day. I figured that it was not healthy for me and it surely couldn't be good for the boys to breathe that stuff in.

My new cleaner works like a charm! It costs pennies to make an entire bottle and it leaves most surfaces looking great! I am on the hunt for a glass cleaner (or recipe), but this all purpose cleaner is fantastic! It's amazing how much a little vinegar and a box of baking soda can do! :)

All-Purpose Cleaner

  • 1/4 cup white vinegar
  • 2 Tbsp. baking soda
  • 1/4 gallon (1 liter) hot water
  • a few drops of essential oil (optional)

Combine the ingredients, stir, and let cool for a few minutes before pouring into a spray bottle. Tea tree essential oil has antiseptic properties, making it a winner for cleaners. But my favorite aromas come from orange, lemon, and lavender essential oils. Use and enjoy!

No comments: