Friday, June 6, 2008

12 weeks

Ryan won't officially be 3 months until next Saturday 3/14 but today marks 12 weeks since he was born!  This morning I got to thinking about how much my life has changed in the past 12 weeks and what I have learned since becoming a Mom.  Here are a few examples of what I came up with.

In 12 weeks I have learned: 
  • 4 consecutive hours of sleep is perhaps one of the most wonderful gifts in the first few weeks.
  • You never wake a sleeping baby. 
  • One smile can bring tears to your eyes. 
  • It is possible to carry on a conversation with no "real" words. 
  • I love someone in a way that I never knew existed until I was a Mom. 
  • I strangely miss getting up every 2-3 hours at night.  That was our special time just Ryan and Mommy (he is now sleeping about 8 hours straight every night).
  • I am doing a great job!!
  • A daily shower is both a challenge to get in and one of the things I look forward to most.
Now to toot my own horn...I have been breast feeding for 12 weeks!!  I am so proud of myself for making it this far.  When I first started I didn't even think I could make it past the first few days.  I really did not enjoy it at all.  I would tell everyone that I did not feel the "bond" that mothers talk about.  I felt a bigger bond when I was rocking him to sleep or when Ryan would sleep on my chest.  It has taken 12 weeks but this morning I realized that I really do like breast feeding.  I am doing the most natural thing in the world, giving him all of the nutrition that he needs, comforting and soothing him.  Last night someone asked me how long I would keep breast feeding for.  My answer, I don't know.  I started out making goals just to get through each day.  Now I am not sure when I will quit.  I know this...I will not have a 3 year-old tugging on my shirt wanting to nurse! LOL

I watched Jon & Kate Plus 8 the other night (you know..the lady had twins then a couple years later sextuplets!).  I am so very thankful that we just had one baby.  I can't imagine having two newborns at once, let alone 6!  If you have not seen the show make sure to tune in to TLC on Monday nights to catch a quick glimpse.  

 

No comments: