Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Little words can be powerful

I meant to blog this a long time ago but I never got around to doing it.  There are moments as a parent where you just need a break.  There was a day back in early October that I was completely exhausted.  It had been rainy for a few days, the boys were having lots of meltdowns (probably because they were bored being in the house), I was in desperate need of a shower after being covered in spit-up, I had a mountain of unfolded laundry on my bed that I was determined to fold and to top it off, I couldn't get the boys to nap.  All I wanted was 10 minutes of peace.  Ten minutes to be alone in the shower and not have to be bothered and then to get that laundry folded and off my bed.

Big Brother woke Little Brother up from his nap for the 2nd time and my patience hit its max.  I made Big Brother sit on my floor in my bedroom while I folded laundry and his one rule was do not talk.  "Do not say a single word," I said and "sit there until I am finished folding these clothes."  After about 2.2 seconds of silence, Big Brother said, "Mommy, can I help you?" I don't remember if I said anything at all.  I might have reminded him that he was supposed to sit there and be still and quiet for a few minutes.  The next thing he said will forever be in my mind.

In his sweet voice, my little boy said to me, "Mommy, I love you.  Mommy, you are so happy to see me.  I am happy to see you.  Can you give me a hug?"  My heart melted.  Tears filled my eyes.  I immediately stepped back, took a deep breath and changed my outlook on the day.  Instead of being frustrated, tired and irritated that nothing on my to do list was getting done that day, I was grateful and humbled.  He changed my perspective in an instant.  It is amazing how powerful the words a child says can be.

No comments: