Sunday, September 11, 2011


Welcome Emily Kate!  
9/3/2011 - 11:58AM
6lbs 15oz - 19.5in

First of all let me say that life is fantastic!  Emily is such a good baby and the boys are adjusting so well to her being here.  She has only been here a week but it seems like she has always been a part of our family.  :)  Here is her birth story. 

On Saturday morning we headed to the hospital at 7:15 for my induction.  When we arrived the sun was shining and it looked like it was going to be a very pretty day.  Got inside, hooked up to my IV, answered a million questions and finally started on the pitocin.  My nurse, Laura, was absolutely wonderful.  We basically just sat around waiting for my doctor to arrive and decide what she wanted to do as I was already over 4cm dilated when we got to the hospital.  

Around 10:15 my doctor showed up.  She wanted to break my water immediately but I knew based on the experience I had with both Ryan and Owen that I wanted the epidural first.  While we were waiting on the anesthesiologist to show up we heard some loud crashes outside.  I thought it was the garbage man but in reality it was huge thunder claps.  Next thing you know the power went out.  The anesthesiologist arrives around 10:40 or so and there is minimal light for him to work in while putting in the epidural.  He gets it in within a few moments I start feeling numb --- on my right side.  They have me lay on my left side and say gravity will take over.  Around 11:15 my doctor shows up again and I am still not numb on the right side.  Mr. Anesthesiologist was quite busy that morning and wasn't able to come back.  Around 11:25 my doctor checks me -- still 4cm and decides to break my water and heads out again. 

11:30 Laura, the fabulous nurse, gets me all comfy and says press the call button if I feel any pressure and heads out of the room.  11:35 - OMG holy moly my left side is killing me.  I have an uncontrollable urge to push.  The pain on my left side was something I had never felt in my life.  I really thought I was going to have the baby before the nurse even came back into the room.  I push call --- Laura comes running back in the room and can't quite believe what I am telling her.  She checks and says I am over 9cm and starts scrambling trying to find someone to give me some more drugs and trying to get my doctor back into the room.  She tells me just to breathe and no matter what do not push.  For the next 15 minutes I breathe through contractions and focus on anything other than the urge to push.  Finally another anesthesiologist comes in and gives me some sort of magical drug.  I don't know what it was --- but it caused me to lose all feeling in my lower body almost immediately, feeling that didn't come back for almost 6 hours.  

It is sometime around 11:50 and I have relief.  My doctor is rushing to get her delivery gear on and they are trying to find someone from pediatrics to come in and turn on the baby warmer.  11:57 -- everyone is ready and my doctor tells me to push.  I push two times and she is totally out.  Jeff quickly cuts the cord, I realize that we indeed have a beautiful (and tiny) baby girl!  OMG!!!  They take her over to the warmer to do whatever all it is that they do and weigh her.  I am in disbelief that we had a child less than 7 pounds!  I am in disbelief that she came so quickly.  I am in awe at the amazing blessings that God has given us.  

so thankful that both of our Moms were able to be here!!!!

we are home!!! our little party of 5! 

little brother absolutely adores his sister.  He is always right by her side. 

No comments: