Saturday, February 26, 2011

Vegetable Soup

I have been trying to incorporate more meatless meals into our menu. I grew up in a family where if there wasn't meat in the meal then it wasn't a real dinner. Times have changed and with our family trying to eat as much organic as we can afford, we have decided to have a couple of meatless nights to stretch our grocery budget (and try new things too)!

I found this recipe from the Food Network. I made several changes that I will note below. Jeff and I loved the soup and Owen gobbled it up as fast as he possibly could. I am a horrible recipe cook though. I am constantly adding different things into soups or taking things out. I think that my additions, especially the seasonings really added a great flavor to the soup.

Ingredients

  • 4 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 cups chopped leeks, white part only (from approximately 3 medium leeks) -- we didn't have leeks on hand so I used onion
  • 2 tablespoons finely minced garlic
  • Kosher salt
  • 2 cups carrots, peeled and chopped into rounds (approximately 2 medium)
  • 2 cups peeled and diced potatoes
  • 2 cups fresh green beans, broken or cut into 3/4-inch pieces (instead of fresh veggies I used a bag of frozen mixed veggies, carrot, corn, peas and green beans)
  • 2 quarts chicken or vegetable broth
  • 4 cups peeled, seeded, and chopped tomatoes (I used only one can of diced tomatoes)
  • 2 ears corn, kernels removed
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4 cup packed, chopped fresh parsley leaves
  • 1 to 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • I also added a bit of dried basil, dried oregano and dried thyme

Directions

Heat the olive oil in large, heavy-bottomed stockpot over medium-low heat. Once hot, add the leeks, garlic, and a pinch of salt and sweat until they begin to soften, approximately 7 to 8 minutes. Add the carrots, potatoes, and green beans and continue to cook for 4 to 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add the stock, increase the heat to high, and bring to a simmer. Once simmering, add the tomatoes, corn kernels, and pepper. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook until the vegetables are fork tender, approximately 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from heat and add the parsley and lemon juice. Season, to taste, with kosher salt. Serve immediately.


No comments: