Friday, November 7, 2008

Back to Work...

About a month and a half ago I started throwing around the idea of heading back to work.  I found an opening with the company I left after I had Ryan and decided I would try it out.  It seemed as though everything was falling perfectly into place when I contacted our first choice daycare and they had exactly one spot available.  Monday was my first day back.  

The entire weekend I spent getting teary every single time I thought about dropping Ryan off at daycare.  I wanted all of his smiles and giggles to myself.  I wanted to be the one comforting him during the day, and yes...I wanted to be the one changing those poopy diapers.  I started asking myself what I was thinking when I decided it was a good idea to return to work.  

Monday morning I took Ryan to daycare by myself.  I set him down on the floor so that I could talk to the teacher and put his things away.  He immediately started playing with the other babies and toys.  His face lit up and he was as happy as he could possibly be.  Leaving Monday was actually much easier than I had anticipated.  If he had been crying then I quite possibly would not have been able to leave.  

Now we are one week down.  Yesterday I didn't want to take Ryan to school.  I wanted to stay at home and play!  The role of working mom is going to take some time to get used to.  I had a hard time getting things done when I was a full-time mom.  There is just not enough time in the day to get everything done!  Seriously.  

There were a couple of very sweet Welcome Back things that my work did for me.  I was very surprised and thankful.  I can tell that they are all very happy that I am back.  I am not really sure how to answer the question that I am asked every day though..."Are you happy to be back?"  My answer this week...ummm not really.  LOL.  Maybe it will change as I get used to this new role.  

No comments: